5 Easy Nutrition Tips You can Start Doing TODAY!

You may have heard it before - you are what you eat and proper nutrition is 80% of the battle (regular exercise being the other 20%). There is absolute truth in all of this. What you eat has a direct impact on your energy/stress levels, mood, and your workout routine among other things. So, considering all that nutrition affects, it is incredibly important that we all take steps to ensure we are consuming the best minerals, nutrients, and vitamins. For some, this is very hard. We all seem to constantly be on the go or maybe there isn't a budget for nutrient-filled, quality food. 

Whatever the case may be, there are 5 easy things we can ALL do starting today. 

1) Wake up and reach for a glass of water (preferably filtered) - why? Because you've been asleep for several hours (at least that's my hope) and your vital organs need replenishment; they need to wake up and the best way to do that is to drink water.

2) Eat a protein packed breakfast - why? Because protein keeps you satisfied and is an important macro-nutrient for building lean muscle, maintaining that muscle, and - ultimately - weight loss (or maintaining current weight if weight loss isn't needed). And, you don't have to break the bank for protein because you can get it from eggs, certain cereals, milk, protein supplements, and yogurt to name a handful of examples. 

3) Make sure to grab a piece of fruit to pair with your breakfast (or mid-morning as a snack before lunch). Apples, bananas, oranges, pears...all of these fruits are an easy grab and budget friendly. They are also packed with essential nutrients and fiber (fiber, like protein, helps keep you full and satisfied). 

4) Snack smart in between meals - if you are going to snack (like many of us do), grab something with complex carbohydrates, fiber, protein, and/or a combination of all. Again, this can be a piece of fruit (ex: apple with 1-2 tablespoons of peanut butter), string cheese, boiled egg, etc. 

5) Take your time when you are eating and aim for at least 20 chews per bite. This is the simplest of all the above. Everyone can and should make time to eat at least 3 meals per day with snacks in between. It takes an average of about 20 minutes for our stomachs to register that we are full (or on our way to getting full). So, if you are scarfing down your food in less than 20 minutes, you are likely reaching for a second or third serving which is something we do not need to do. If we can train ourselves to be more conscious and present when we are eating, we will eat less, still feel full, and be on the way to better living!  

 

Mariah Fink

Fitness Integrated with Nutrition Knowledge, 8507 McCullough, Suite C-33, San Antonio, TX, 78216

Fitness Integrated with Nutrition Knowledge
2 reviews